What Is Food Justice?
What Are Ways to Get Involved?
Food justice recognizes the food system as "a racial project and problematizes the influence of race and class on the production, distribution, and consumption of food."
More simply put...
Food Justice is communities exercising their right to grow, sell, and eat healthy food.
A just food system is one in which the ways we produce, distribute, and eat food is not affected by systematic inequality or oppression based on race, class, gender, ability, or anything else.
This also leads to the discussion of Food Insecurity:
Food insecurity may reflect a household’s need to make trade-offs between important basic needs, such as housing or medical bills, and purchasing nutritionally adequate foods.
There is a variety of reasons for food insecurity such as:
How does this relate to Athens?
Courses at UGA
- Athens Land Trust: “With land that is community-owned and driven by community interests, our goal is to create healthy communities and forge partnerships to effect positive change across Athens, Georgia.”
- For questions about volunteering, contact Morgan Watson, the Athens Land Trust volunteer coordinator!
- Geography Green Roof: The green roof garden is on the rooftop of the geography geology building and is a fruit and vegetable garden maintained by students, volunteers, faculty, and interns. They have tours as well as volunteer work days where people can learn about urban food production and pollinator conservation. Their produce is donated to Campus Kitchen at UGA.
- Athens Farmers Market: Athens Farmers Market's mission is to foster a dynamic economic and educational connection between community members, farmers, and artisans by providing a marketplace for food grown locally using sustainable farming methods and for locally produced hand crafted goods and prepared foods
Courses at UGA
- ALDR (AFST)(LACS): Reflections on Fighting Hunger
- GEOG 4860: The Industrial Agro-Food System and Its Alternatives
- GEOG 4890S: Athens Urban Food Collective (AUFC) Service-Learning